Monday, October 26, 2009

Soup


I was so inspired by last evening's visit to my grandchildren's Halloween pumpkin carving, and their incredibly delicious toasted pumpkin seeds with oil, butter, and salt baked on that this morning found me in the kitchen cooking butternut squash soup.

Apron over my nightgown at 8:30 am. I've become partial to cookbooks that not only have great recipes but also give information about gardening and seasonal ingredients. Jamie Oliver's "Superb squash soup" from jamie at home is truly superb (I left out the red chillies and substituted pumpkin seeds for the croutons.)

I was going to use Ina Garten's wonderful squash soup recipe but opted instead for JO's choice to let the vegetables speak for themselves without enhancement of cream or creme fraiche (and no canned pumpkin puree.) Really good. Two bowls for lunch and now I have two glass jars in the refrigerator filled with the morning's lovely labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment